The DW45/NT60 Precision Buried Wire Layers are the wire layers you have always wanted for common consumer and commercial wire laying applications: invisible pet fence wire, low voltage lighting and robotic lawn mower wire. It is the best wire layer money can buy!
DW45 NT60 Wire Laying Mechanism
DW45 and NT60 use a a rotating "drill bit" cutter blade to cut a thin groove in the ground as the machine is advanced forward. Behind the cutter is a blade called the "fin" that pushes the loosened dirt away to create the groove. The fin depth is adjustable, enabling precision depths. The wire is threaded through the fin and exits the fin through a tube bent behind its blade. The fin blade efficiently widens the groove behind the fin's exit hole.
DW45 vs NT60
NT60 is available as a special order item for the same price. We now stock its successor, the DW45 Buried Wire Layer that is made by the same company looks almost identical and works the same as NT60 **but** it has a new feature for laying double wires that go to/from flowerbeds! It looks very similar to the NT60, some parts are interchangeable. For example, if you don't plan to use the dual wire feature, the NT60 fin can be used as a replacement part on the DW45.
Here are the features that are common between NT60 and DW45:
- Self-propelled, lightweight and easy to use
- Drill design leaves smaller impact than conventional machines - fast grass healing!
- Patented articulating handlebar keeps operator out of branches, and keeps DW45/NT60 on the landscape edge
- Wheelbase adjustable for offset from hardscapes, perfect for precision wire laying applications like robotic lawn mowers
- Pivoting cutting head allows for tight, smooth turns, especially 90 and 180 degree turns required by robotic lawn mowers
- Less time is required for the grass to recover since the cut in the ground is very small.
The DW45/NT60 Precision Buried Wire Layer buried wire layer is the most maneuverable wire layer on the market. It's really easy to use, even a small woman can manage this machine. Use it for 16 guage invisible pet fence wire, very thin low voltage lighting wire and other thin/small wire applications. It is the only wire layer our intallers use for installing robotic lawn mowers.
Robotic lawn mowers' signal loses strength if the wire is buried too deep. The NT60 Precision Buried Wire Layer may be set for 1/2" to 2.4" deep, preventing the wire from being buried too deep by installers. On soft ground, the finished depth tends to be 4" or so, even though the specified maximum depth is 2.4" (6cm).
Unique features include:
- Rotatable drill bit for easy 90 degree turns while stopped
- Patented tilting handle to reduce machine height when placing wire close to trees/bushes
- Tilting handle protects operator
- Powerful Honda® engine
- Self-propelled for fast and efficient wire installation
- Maneuverable enough to enable 180 degree U-turns without stopping the engine - 10"-12" wire-to-wire distance!
One of the nicest features is the patented tilting handle. This feature lets the installer drive the machine under tree branches while walking alongside. This machine is so easy to maneuver, it is perfect for installing low voltage lighting wire around landscaping and flowerbeds, but contact us if you intend to use DW45/NT60 for landscape lighting - since the machine has a few constraints for standard low voltage lighting wire (847) 960-8520.
Wire mounting is easy: simply remove the plate on the side of the wire mount and slide the wire coil over the 4 inch diameter coil holder. For the DW45, remove the coil holder to expose the 1.75" diameter bar for holding reels. For the NT60, purchase the optional reel holder: 500 mt Wire Housing . If the 1.75" diameter bar does not meet your needs, contact us and we will tell you about a work-around. (847) 960-8520.
Other Differences Between DW45 and NT60
Here are some additional differences between DW45 and NT60:
- DW45 has large, knobby tires vs NT60's smaller, rubber grooved tires
- DW45 accepts coils (4" inner diameter) and reels (1.75" diameter). Its bar has a tensioning feature.
- NT60 accepts coils standard. There is an optional 1.75" diameter bar for heavy 500mt or 1000mt reels.
- Both NT60 and DW45 have an internal bar that has a narrower diameter, approximately 1" (7469).
NT60 Alternate Brand Names
NT60 has also been sold in the US under the following brand names: LawnBott®, EZGroove, NT60 CLH, Ecotech.
View our parts page; a few parts may be ordered online (cutters: 7403, 7403H, fin: 7572, 7406) the remaining can be ordered via phone (847)960-8520 or email. Parts to maintain your NT60 are readily available. Most likely we have the part you need in stock at all times. If not, it can probably be procured as a direct shipment from our USA supplier. In rare cases, the part will come from Italy after a 6-8 week delay. Call 847-960-8520 or email the part number(s) & desired quantities to: firstname.lastname@example.org. We will get back to you promptly with a quotation.
DW45 and NT60 Maintenance
The maintenance is what you would expect of a gas-powered engine - oil changes, etc. There is a critical maintenance step after each use which is to remove the cutter bit, clean it and its holder, then grease both. An anti-sieze grease or WD-40 are both acceptable. Forgetting to do this step will result in the bit becoming siezed inside its housing, making it very difficult to remove.